Rices Landing Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1992. Many buildings from the community’s days as a river port still exist, including the Methodist Episcopal Church (1873), an 1850s brick jail, and several vernacular wood houses from the Mid-to Late-Victorian period. An early Hudson-Rambler garage, a general store, and an Art Deco bank are evidence of Rices Landing’s importance as a local commercial center. The Y.A. Young Machine Shop, the Excelsior Pottery, and company houses once owned by the H.C. Frick Coke Company are relics of the area’s industrial past.
W. A. Young Machine Shop and Foundry, located on Water Street, was built in 1900 by William A. Young. The Foundry, which still contains the original tools and machines dating from 1870, is a prime example of America’s industrial heritage and is operated by the Greene County Historical Society. Click here to learn more about tours and special events.
The Greene River Trail, a 5.2 mile walking and bike trail, begins at the trailhead at the Green Cove Yacht Club in Millsboro. It passes through Rices Landing and ends in Crucible, however there are plans to eventually extend it by nine miles to Nemacolin, PA.
The Lock Wall gives the public access to a great view of the Monongahela River. A cement boat ramp with plenty of parking, is available where Pumpkin Run and the Monongahela meet, off of Main Street, in Min Love Park.
Public boat docks are also located at Min Love Park, on the Monongahela River, and provide a relaxing spot for fishing.
Benches along the lock wall in Pumpkin Run Park make a relaxing place to fish while watching the river traffic go by.